What Is Maximum Medical Improvement?

older gentleman sitting on an observation table in a doctor's office, shaking hands with a woman wearing a doctor's coat. A young woman wearing a doctor's coat is also in the background.

Your Workers’ Compensation Recovery Period

When an injured worker is determined to have reached "maximum medical improvement" (MMI), their workers' compensation benefits may be terminated, even if their injuries are not fully healed. This is because MMI refers to when your injury is at the point where treatment can no longer improve your condition.

Although for most people this is when the injury is fully healed and no longer requires medical attention, other instances may seem as if your recovery is cut short while you are still impaired. Read on to learn more about how this is determined.

What Happens After I Reach MMI?

A medical professional determines when your condition has reached MMI, after which your or your employer's insurance carrier may halt any workers' compensation payments. However, this does not always mean that your condition is better. In some MMI cases, the injury has reached a point where medical treatment is no longer beneficial and you cannot get any better.

When this determination is made, you may be eligible to qualify for:

  • Temporary Partial Disability
  • Permanent Partial Disability
  • Permanent Total Disability

In Kentucky, you may not be eligible to receive these benefits until you have reached MMI. Depending on which you qualify for, you may be entitled to receive two-thirds of your weekly earnings. Ultimately, working with an experienced workers' compensation attorney can help you obtain the most desired outcome for the long term.

How Justice Law Office Can Help

Our Louisville team is dedicated to helping you get the result that will be most beneficial in the long run, and our firm has obtained millions of dollars for workers' compensation clients. With over a decade of experience, we are prepared to handle your case from start to finish.

If you need assistance with your workers' compensation claim or need guidance through the next steps of the process, contact Justice Law Office today. Schedule a free consultation with a member of our team by calling (502) 822-2230.

Related Posts
  • Can I Get Workers’ Comp for a Slip and Fall Accident? Read More
  • Reducing Work Accidents with Ergonomics Read More
  • How Soon Should I File My Workers’ Comp Claim? Read More