Trucking accidents often result in serious property damage, catastrophic injuries, and fatalities. Victims of trucking accidents have a right to pursue compensation for their medical bills, pain and suffering, and other damages related to the accident. But who is responsible for compensating the victim? This is where an attorney can help. An experienced truck accident lawyer can investigate your accident to determine its cause and, based on the evidence, who can be held accountable. There are a number of things that can contribute to a trucking accident, and thus a number of people that may be held liable depending on the circumstances.
Trucking accidents commonly result from the following:
- Fatigued driving, often involving violations of FMCSA Hours of Service regulations
- Distracted driving, which may involve texting, eating, and other distracting activities while driving
- Drunk or drugged driving, making the truck driver less aware of their surroundings and less able to react to avoid a collision
- Reckless driving, including aggressive driving behaviors like speeding, tailgating, or making unsafe lane changes
- Negligent hiring, in which the truck company was careless in selecting a qualified driver
- Negligent maintenance, in which the truck was not properly maintained
- Improper cargo loading, causing a dangerous imbalance within the trailer that increases its chance of a jackknife or rollover accident
A thorough investigation of the accident will reveal key evidence pointing to the liable party or parties. Depending on the cause of the accident, the following parties may be held responsible:
- The truck driver for driving in a careless or reckless manner
- The trucking company for negligent hiring or failing to drug test
- The truck mechanic for failing to keep the vehicle in safe working order
- A third party for any other action that contributed to or caused the accident
If you have been injured in a trucking accident in Kentucky, you should contact an experienced attorney as soon as possible. At Justice Law Office, our Louisville truck accident attorneys are committed to helping injured clients obtain maximum compensation for their losses. Attentive, detail-oriented, and with an unyielding commitment to justice, we have recovered millions of dollars for clients. To learn more about how we may be able to help you and what your case may be worth, please contact us online or call our office at (502) 822-2230.