Louisville Drunk Driving Accident Attorney
Fighting for the Compensation You Deserve
Every year, drunk driving contributes to tens of thousands of preventable injuries and deaths. In the United States, an average of nearly 30 people die every single day due to drunk driving crashes. While the guilty party may be held accountable in the criminal justice system, victims and their families are often left to pick up the pieces.
If you have been injured or have lost a loved one because of a drunk driver’s reckless actions, we encourage you to contact Justice Law Office to consult with our lawyers about your legal options. You may be entitled to compensation for your losses, including past and future medical bills, pain and suffering, lost income, reduced earning capacity, and more.
In the event of a wrongful death, you may be able to recover compensation for hospital bills and pain and suffering prior to your loved one’s death, as well as for funeral and burial costs, loss of companionship and support, and other related damages.
Speak with a Louisville drunk driving accident attorney about your case today; call (502) 822-2230.
Do Insurance Companies Pay for Drunk Driving Accidents?
After a drunk driving accident, victims may have several options for compensation. Because Kentucky is a no-fault state, you can often recover compensation after an accident by filing a claim with your own insurance provider. Your personal injury protection (PIP) insurance covers you for medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, and other related costs. However, PIP coverage is limited.
You may be able to receive the following compensation from the insurance company after a drunk driving accident:
- Medical expenses up to $10,000
- Up to 85% of lost wages with a cap of $10,000
- Up to $10,000 in other related out-of-pocket expenses
PIP does not cover non-economic damages, like pain and suffering, and you will not be covered if you have rejected no-fault coverage.
Often, PIP insurance is not sufficient to cover drunk driving accident victims’ costs. When this is the case, victims can file personal injury lawsuits against drunk drivers. This allows them to seek additional compensation through the drunk driver’s insurance provider.
If the other driver is insured, his or her insurance company should pay a fair amount for your damages. However, many insurance companies will go to great lengths to avoid paying out these claims. The insurance adjuster may actively work to dispute your injuries or damages, devalue your claim, or even deny it outright. We strongly encourage you to contact our attorneys before speaking to anyone from the drunk driver’s insurance company to help ensure your rights are protected.
What Do You Do If a Drunk Driver Hits Your Car?
If you are involved in an accident and you suspect the other driver may be intoxicated, there are several important steps you can take to protect your rights:
- First, check yourself and others for injuries. If necessary, call 911 and wait for paramedics to arrive. Never move anyone who appears seriously injured and always err on the side of contacting emergency medical services rather than not.
- You should also call the police and have local law enforcement officers come out to the scene of the accident. Avoid engaging with the drunk driver, and never make any statements that could be construed as admitting fault. When police arrive, tell them what happened. Be truthful and direct, but do not admit fault.
- Do your best to get the drunk driver’s contact information, as well as his or her insurance information. If there were any witnesses, be sure to also get their name(s), contact information, and a brief statement regarding what they saw/heard. You should also take pictures of the scene of the accident, as well as your injuries and any damage to your vehicle.
- If you do not require emergency medical treatment, be sure to see your doctor as soon as possible after the accident. Even if you believe your injuries are minor, it is critical that you undergo a professional medical evaluation to rule out any underlying injuries and ensure that you get the proper care.
- Follow all your doctor’s orders, including taking all prescribed medications, performing physical therapy exercises, and attending follow-up appointments.
- Lastly, we strongly recommend that you contact an experienced drunk driving injury attorney. In addition to facing criminal penalties, drunk drivers can be sued for compensation. You have the right to hold the drunk driver accountable for the harm they have caused you, and our firm can help.
Fighting for Fair Compensation After a Drunk Driving Accident
Driving under the influence of alcohol is dangerous and illegal. Negligent drivers who choose to ignore the law and drive unsafely can be held both civilly and criminally liable when they cause an accident that results in injury or death to another person.
It is important to work with an attorney who has experience handling car accident cases. A seasoned attorney knows what it takes to maximize the value of your case so that you can obtain the full and fair compensation you need to ensure your continued care after an accident caused by a drunk driver. Our team takes an aggressive stance against careless drivers and takes pride in doing whatever is necessary to ensure that justice is served.
We can help you seek compensation for your:
- Emergency medical care
- Hospital fees
- Ongoing treatment
- Rehabilitation therapy
- Lost income/wages
- Lost earning capacity due to disability
- Future medical expenses and lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Property/vehicle damage repair costs
We may also be able to help you fight for punitive damages. Unlike the compensatory damages outlined above, punitive damages are not meant to compensate the victim for losses but, rather, to punish the defendant for egregious negligence. The purpose of punitive damages is to hold defendants accountable for willful or wanton disregard for the lives of others and help ensure that similar acts do not occur again.
Why Choose Justice Law Office?
After a drunk driving accident, you need a legal team you can trust. At Justice Law Office, we are ready to fight tirelessly for you.
Clients choose us because we offer:
- Personalized and attentive service
- A trial-ready approach
- Free consultations
- A proven track record of millions of dollars recovered for our clients
Our Louisville drunk driving accident attorneys stand ready to assist you during this difficult time. While you focus on healing, let us take care of the rest. Contact us today to request your free consultation.